Sunday 12 August 2018

Alcohol Inks

A rare chance for me to play this week and I decided I would try out my new yupo papers and alcohol lift off ink. Having watched videos by Tim Holtz and Jennifer McGuire (my go to papercraft guru) I was keen to have a go. Here are some of my results. First, the 'failures'.

Actually I love all these cards, but the technique didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped and there's not much evidence at all of a lifting technique!! Because I had used a stamping platform I went over them again and heat embossed. Added more inks and some other media and made into cards. Well, I wasn't going to waste them, that YUPO paper is way too expensive. 


So now here are two finished cards showing the ghost image and the corresponding lifted image stamped on to ordinary cardstock. The poor image on the right is because I was on an acrylic block by now and forgot to stamp on my mat - if I had stayed on the stamping platform I could have re-stamped. I also tried out JM's asymmetric panels on the cards - quite like the effect.

Here's another one where I overstamped the lifted image. The 'ghost' piece was pretty boring so I tried a bit of stencilling with the lift ink to liven it up. Still on the fence about that one!!
















I inked up another piece of yupo and made this yummy alcohol ink background.


But despite dabbing and dabbing, and dabbing and dabbing, and dabbing and dabbing, when I gave it a burnish the image totally smudged and disappeared although I did get a reasonable lifted image. However, I simply re-inked that piece of yupo (TH says treat it like an inkpad) and tried again with better results.























Finally, I inked another piece up and got this lovely lifted image. I don't know where this is going yet but I think it is my favourite of these 'lift' images so far, with all the different colours showing through. But no successful ghost image for this one!!

I do love an inky play day. More to follow I am sure. as I have to decide what to do with those 'lifts'!









2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous colours. I'm sure they'll inspire you to make a few masterpieces with your lovely designs. x

    ReplyDelete